Saturday, April 14, 2012

My first 5K!

Over Easter, my sister told me about a 5K that her church was hosting this weekend benefiting Hope Hollow, a local camp for handicapped children. Paul and I have been working out pretty consistently for over a year now so I have really been wanting to do a 5K to see just where I am physically. Kaleb had another birthday party to attend at 11:30 today so I told Melodie that I wouldn't be able to do it. But she told me it starts at 9 and we should be done by 9:30-10:00. So I thought 'what do I have to lose?' I registered online Friday and showed up at 8:30 for my first ever 5K! I have to say that I was extremely nervous. Paul had other plans so I brought Kaleb and his stroller along. It got started a little late but when they yelled 'GO!', everyone started jogging. I was doing pretty good at first. I made it past the 1/2 mile mark before I got out of breath. I think that's pretty good for pushing an extra 40lbs of toddler and stroller. Kaleb did really well until about the Mile 1 marker. He did not want to bein the stroller anymore! So I let him out, hoping he would walk or run beside me for a few minutes, then want back in. This was the case for about 2 minutes, then he just stopped and refused to move. I picked him up and carried him for a minute or two but that was hard trying to push a stroller and carry a three year old. So I just put him back in the stroller, kicking and screaming and took off running! At the 1/2 mile left point, Kaleb decided he wanted out of the stroller, mid run! I swear I about ran him over! I ended up leaving the stroller in the Elementary school grass (where my car was parked) and carrying Kaleb, piggy back, to the finish line. When Melodie saw me from the finish line (she finished in under 30 minutes!), she ran and got Kaleb from me so I could finish strong! My final time was 46:20! I'm pretty happy with it considering having to deal with Kaleb. My next one will not involve a stroller though, I can tell you that much! Hills and a head wind make that thing feel like 100lbs! Here is a pic of me and Melodie after the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment