Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

So, as everybody knows, today marks the 10th anniversary of one of the worst days in American history, September 11, 2001. I still remember where I was when I heard the news. A junior in high school, I was in my history class of all places. Little did I know that that very moment would be written in the history books for future generations. We had a daily TV show made by students updating us on the goings-on in the school. But on that day, they interrupted class to inform us that a plane had flown into the first tower. I have to admit, I was a little undereducated on the world trade center, and had no idea what it really meant, or if it was even really happening. Then the news of the second plane came through. We all changed our TV's to the local news and the impact of what was happening sunk in. One of our teachers had a son that was working in NYC at the time, and we were all worried for her and her family. (Luckily, he was not at the WTC that day!) I just remember praying HARD that people would be ok, finally realizing how tragic the situation was.

To this day, I can hardly watch the footage that is aired. I become physically nauseous at the thought of all the people that lost their life that day. To see the footage of people jumping off of balconies over 100 stories up. I can't imagine what it must have been like for them, to know the only way to keep from burning alive was to jump to their deaths. (I am shaking just typing this.) But at the same time, I become overcome with anger at the people that did this in the name of their religion! What kind of religion says that killing innocent men, women and children will be rewarded in the afterlife?!

I pray for the people lost that day, for the families of the lost, and even for the people responsible for it, that they may see the error in their ways and finally stop with the hatred and war. Because if anyone has the power to do it, God does.

God bless all the men and women that are fighting for our freedom. No matter what your opinion of the war, there are men and women out there (fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, neighbors, friends) putting their life on the line everyday to protect us from something like this happening again.

No comments:

Post a Comment