Tuesday, November 8, 2011

CE weekend

So, in order to keep my license to practice Optometry in the great state of Mississippi (can't type that word without singing the "crooked letter" song in my head!), I have to have 20 hours of continuing education per year. Well, the end of the year is coming up fast and the Mississippi (hump back, hump back, i) Optometric Assocation hosts a Fall Conference to help everybody get their last minute hours. What this means is that from 8-5:30 on Friday, 8:30-6 on Saturday, and 8-12 on Sunday, I had the pleasure of sitting through countless lectures of stuff I have heard dozens of times before. You see, most of these lectures are to update  all the old doctors on the new stuff. Since we just graduated last year, this is just review for us. So, the real reason I go is to see all my friends friends from SCO that I don't get to see often enough! It was so much fun, sitting in the back of class, just catching up!

Friday night, the conference held a reception with a Kentucky Derby theme. My wonderful sister offered to babysit Kaleb so both Paul and I could go and enjoy a night with adults! =) It was great. We had lots of fun and ended up at a bar next door to the hotel where the conference was held. Around 1:00, Paul gets a phone call from my sister who just woke up and realized we weren't home yet and started having a panic attack. She didn't know that a 'reception' was really just a code name for 'party till dawn'! So we paid our tab and came home, which ended up being a blessing in disguise because Kaleb didn't have a great night of sleeping and I had to get up at 5:30 to shower and be at the hotel for registration and classes! I have no idea how I used to do this in college. I was dog tired the whole day! But, apparently not as tired as my friend Mandi who kept falling alseep during conversations.

I really hated not being able to spend the weekend with Kaleb, but it was really nice to be able to catch up with old friends and have adult conversations. The only thing that could have made it better was to have my other BFF Aubrey there. She had the Kentucky meeting the same weekend in Gatlinburg, but we have her convinced to come to our meeting next year! And, we are already planning for the SECO conference held in March in Atlanta every year!

I was the worst person and only took one photo from the whole weekend! As mentioned before, the reception had a Kentucky Derby theme. And what is the most important thing to know about the Kentucky Derby... HATS! They had a contest for the best hat and every table had random hats on it. This is Jimbo, a doctor I graduated with and now work with everyday! He decided this hat was just his style!

No comments:

Post a Comment