Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yah for Healthy Foods!

So, Paul and I have started our New Year diets as of Monday night, and it's going GREAT. We have cut out most processed foods and any sugary drinks including juices and soft drinks. Luckily, I can still have my coffee so the world is safe! =) We have also started substituting Almond Milk for regular milk. It is not very good on its own, but put it in cereal or use it in making oatmeal, and it's not that bad.
Monday night we cooked Italian Turkey Burgers which were really good. Here's the link to the recipe if you want to check it out:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-italian-turkey-burgers.html
We cut the recipe in half and it still made 5 patties so I even got to take one for lunch the next day and it was just as good then. The great thing about this diet is it requires you to eat every couple of hours so I might not get to eat a lot at lunch or dinner, but I'm not as hungry because of all the snacks. It also wants you to work out everyday and take some protein supplements, which we were doing anyway but we have kicked it up a notch! Yah!
Back to the food... Monday night and Tuesday lunch were the Turkey Burgers. Morning snack on Tuesday was plain greek yogurt with fresh strawberries which is very good, kind of tangy, but good and loaded with protein from the yogurt. My afternoon snack was a small green apple and a handful of pistachios. Dinner Tuesday night was a risk but with a great payout. The diet had a recipe for Tuna Melts, where she stuffed roasted red peppers with canned tuna and melted mozzarella cheese on top. Sounded good to Paul so we decided to try it. I am not a big fan of canned tuna so I was not real looking forward to it, but OMG... it was delicious! Here's a link to that recipe (and more recipes) and I HIGHLY recommend you try it. Very easy and good for you (and cheap!)
http://muffintop-less.tumblr.com/MTLCRECIPES
(please don't laugh at the name!)
Today for lunch, Paul and I had grilled chicken salads with mozzarella cheese and basalmic vinagrette dressing. Very good and a great change from the honey mustard we had been eating. Snacks were the same today as yesterday and equally as delic! Supper tonight was pretty normal, just made healthier. We grilled some Thin-Cut chicken breasts and made some home-made sweet potato fries. I have never been a big fan of sweet potatoes, so again, I was a little skeptical but these turned out very good too. The recipe is listed under the Tuna Melt recipe that was posted earlier. It was very hard but we left some fries for me to take to work tomorrow for lunch.
Not only are we eating healthier, we are also saving money. Buying fresh fruits and veggies is always cheaper than buying canned and I am no longer going out to lunch and buying the fat-filled burgers. (my mouth just watered talking about it actually... I hope I can keep this up!) Wish us luck! I will try to keep updating with different recipes that did and did not work. So far, so good but I know it won't always be this easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment